Pages

Featured Post

This Blog Has Moved

I upgraded to a wordpress blog. Please visit me at www.thepurplebug.com .

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Pink Messenger Bag - Poem


Pink Messenger Bag
We’ve been through a lot, you and I. From the
Calculus book I carried three semesters in a row,
to the Shakespeare book I pretended to read.

I bought you for ten dollars as a college freshman.
You became my trademark. My identifier. My
companion. You carried everything.

You took me East to North Carolina and
West to Washington. Each time holding
enough clothes to last me the week.

And there was that time you broke in Walmart.
I had to borrow a purse from my roommate to replace
you. I was sad every day I couldn’t get you fixed.

But now, three and a half years later, your bottom is
wearing thin, and your Velcro is nearly gone. I’ve
had to reinforce both of your straps twice.
I can’t bear the thought of getting rid of you. Even
though I’m terrified you’ll break on days I carry my
computer and Norton Anthology.

So I guess you get to stay a while longer. And if you
promise not to break I’ll bring you back next year.
We can be fifth year seniors together.


© Chloe VanDuinen 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment