Pages

Featured Post

This Blog Has Moved

I upgraded to a wordpress blog. Please visit me at www.thepurplebug.com .

Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Thief and the Cobbler

The Thief and the Cobbler movie cover. 
Guess what I just found on Netflix? I love this movie. My sister and I watched it when we were little and to us it fit right it with all the Disney cartoons. Now that I'm older I realize it is in fact very, very different.

My roommates and I were looking through the new stuff on Netflix when we ran across this. Chris is an art major with an appreciation for weird things so I thought he would enjoy it. It was even weirder than I remembered it being. I've been in the habit of researching things on Wikipedia while watching them so I decided to look up the history behind this movie. Turns out it has a much more interesting history than I anticipated. 

This movie was in production for 31 years. From 1964 to 1995. It has been cut apart, put back together, scenes deleted and added. Not to mention that this was all done with actual drawings, no CGI or other tricks. It's super detailed and in some places very tricky, like those picture puzzles with the staircases that go multiple directions. 

It's has a lot of different directors and owners and several people have tried to find and put together the original scenes to get an original version of the story. 

It is definitely worth watching this movie and then hitting up Wikipedia for the information.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment