Pages

Featured Post

This Blog Has Moved

I upgraded to a wordpress blog. Please visit me at www.thepurplebug.com .

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Why You Shouldn't go on a Diet this Year

I'm not a doctor or a food expert but I am a sort of overweight person who has tried multiple time to make changes to my eating habits. 

Here's the thing, complete restriction of certain items from your diet never works. How many times have you said to yourself "I'm cutting out fast food completely," or "I'm not drinking any more soda." Probably a lot. I have too. I've also promised myself to cut out alcohol, and chocolate and that never worked either. Cutting something out just makes you want it more. 

So love yourself and ease yourself into these changes, it will make you feel like you have more control over yourself and you can still enjoy some of the stuff, because honestly it's good. 
Don't Go on a Diet This Year - Five Guys Burger and Fries
Five Guys Burger and Fries

"Stop Eating Fast Food" - The saltiness of fast food makes you want to eat it all the time. It's cheap, it's quick, and it's so satisfying. Start by getting rid of one item you usually buy when you purchase a meal. Most people probably get a sandwich, a drink, and some fries (the accompanying picture is from Five Guys, it’s so good but also so greasy). Skip the drink, or the fries. Better yet skip both. Wean yourself down to a single item, then try to eat that single item less and less frequently.

"Stop Drinking Pop" - Okay, I'm from Minnesota... Start by cutting out fountain drinks. You're paying way too much for them anyway. Whenever you feel like you want a pop drink a glass of water instead. You're probably just thirsty and that can translate as a craving for a sugary drink. I've proven this to myself many times at work. I can get a can of pop for fifty cents in my break room. Sometimes I'll really, really want it but not have any change. So I'll drink my water like a good girl and bam the cravings are gone. 

On the flip side it can be tough to add in foods that you don't eat very often. It can take 10-15 exposures to a new food to learn to like it. I spent one summer of college putting bell peppers into everything I ate. I learned to love them. Now I just have to do the same thing with tomatoes and I'll be set. My biggest advice is to start adding them in to things you already eat. Bell peppers are great for this. Dice them up and throw them in everything. Another thing is learning how to season vegetables so they actually taste good. Don't just boil them or steam them. Give them some flavor with seasonings or a sauce. Learn to make stir fry, it's a great way to learn to like vegetables (it's how I learned to like bell peppers). 

Or if you aren't ready to cut or add just yet trying shrinking your portion sizes by using smaller dishes or by waiting fifteen minutes before getting seconds. 
Don't Go on a Diet This Year - Stir Fry Veggies
Stir Fry Veggies are My Favorite

No comments:

Post a Comment